[nabs-l] Fair payment for readers

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 02:59:39 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I finally broke down per lack of choice (those who saw my last thread
know why) and emailed my classmates to get a human reader for
handwritten documents which can not be handled by the DS office or
Robo Braille due to confidentiality and ethics concerns in my field.
One of my classmates responded tonight and said she is willing to read
the documents to me.  They're song lyrics and I suspect that they'll
be fairly simple for her to read, and that we'll get through the
process quickly enough, but I have never had a reader before so I'm
not sure how best to offer fair payment.  How does this typically
work?  I mentioned in my email that we could work something out, but I
said that more because I had no clue how much or how little would be
fair (though I am willing to pay the person in a drink from Starbucks
or something if they prefer that over cash).  We've set aside 25
minutes to read these three documents, so what should I shoot for?
Thanks to those of you who have advised me so far on this.

--
Kaiti Shelton
University of Dayton-Music Therapy

"You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back!"