[nabs-l] research paper assistance

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 20 05:32:57 UTC 2015

Nathan,

Wow, what an interesting project! And, you are pretty near me as I'm in
northern va and graduated years back from Marymount University.

Anyway, great topic, but I believe it will be hard to find sources. I hope
you don't need many scholarly sources as there are few discussing
specifically blindisms on interaction. Many studies have been done on
socialization in general though.

The one scholarly source I can think of is the Journal of Visual Impairment
put out by AFB.
I do not know  how you'd access the journal though as it is subscription
based; my advice would be to read abstracts and perhaps purchase individual
articles if needed. Other sources could be interviews, if you are allowed to
use them, with blindness professionals such as teachers of the vision
impaired and O&M teachers. Most professionals recognize the negative impact
of blindisms and discourage it among students.

I also think you could use sources about conformity to social norms in
general and the negative consequences of failing to conform. Certainly
blindisms are abnormal and are not conforming to social norms.

In terms of websites
here are some ideas off the top of my head.

Texas School for the blind www.tsbvi.edu
I've seen many articles on there about teaching kids, and surely there is
bound to be some on social interaction
Hadley School for the Blind www.hadley.edu
Overbrook School for the blind

Also, I highly recommend Future reflections put out by NFB.
This publication is for parents of blind children grounded in NFB
philosophy; it has tons  of articles  about social interaction.

Here are some articles with their direct urls that you might find helpful.
Note, there is a whole issue of the magazine about extra curricular
activities. While not addressing blindisms specifically, it does address the
interactions in a sighted world and how important learning social norms are.

Here they are.

Future Reflections Fall 2015
Manners Matter

“We are all impressed when we meet children who are well-behaved and
well-mannered. It's easier to like children who conform to our social
expectations. They seem less strange to us.”

https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr34/3/fr340304.htm

Standing on My Own Two Feet
https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr34/3/fr340316.htm

Special Issue 2015 Extra Curricular Activities

Cheering Blind

Good luck, and if you need more ideas, I'll look around and ask my TVI from
senior year who I keep in touch with.
Ashley