[nabs-l] Joining local chapters

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 20 20:06:30 UTC 2015

Thanks all for your comments.  I've hung back since my initial post to
see what would come from this thread, and it has been well-worth it.

I do recognize that the chapter president has tried to be as
accommodating as he can for the current chapter members, and
especially as I would be the new person coming in I can't expect them
to shift meetings around to suit my individual schedule, but I do
think the current time could be problematic.  The president keeps
saying, "You should join because we want more students like you in the
chapter," but if that is the case most of the people he'd be looking
at are pretty busy with extracurriculars on the weekends.

I remember last December durring my finals week I got a call around
9:00 in the morning from one of the chapter board members asking if I
would be attending the spaghetti dinner I mentioned before.  I told
her it coincided with an exam I had that night starting at 5:00 (it
was a night class).  She said, "But we have a board position up for
grabs," like she was trying to entice me to coming in even though I
had a *final exam* in a class that I couldn't miss.  That's the kind
of thing that happens; they want me to drop everything for the
chapter, and while the chapter is important I am not prepared or
willing to do that.  The same happens when I tell the president that I
can't attend October's meeting, or the January meetings, because I
will be home in Cincinnati with my family.  I'm not going to go home
and have my family drive me back to Dayton for the meeting because we
wouldn't be able to go back home again, and I'd like to take my
midterm breaks like every other student does.  That situation is a bit
different because in theory I could stay at my house on campus for the
rest of break, but I'd be giving up at least 2 days that I could spend
with family when I don't go home much over the semester to begin with.
This is precisely why I can't attend October's meeting this year; it
falls on the Saturday that is durring our fall break.

There are a ton of blind students who attend the other university in
the area, but I don't know who they are.  I've tried reaching out to
disability services staff to circulate information on the student
division and have been unsuccessful in reaching anyone from the
school.  I know a grand total of 3 other blind people in their
twenties in the area; 2 are already in contact with the chapter
president, and the other is affiliated with ACB.  Furthermore on the
other college issue, the chapter president has said before that he
wanted to collaborate with me to put on some information session at
the other college to see if the blind students would come out to hear
about the chapter, the student division, and have free pizza or
something.  I started by trying to contact people who could help set
that up at the school, but I haven't heard anything more from him on
it.  It makes telling whether or not he wants students in the chapter
very confusing.

I know personally week nights would work better for me, or Saturdays
earlier in the day.  I'm also able to do almost anything on Sundays,
though that could be problematic with people who want to go to church.
I'd much rather get up early and go to a 9:00 AM chapter meeting
because A it's free in my schedule, and B it's earlier in the day so I
can still get things done like grocery runs and things of that nature.
There really isn't a good way to pole what would work better for
students as a collective, though.

I'm very interested in the deeper issue Arielle singled out in her
message, because that really is the route of the problem.  Perhaps it
has to do a little bit with the tone of the ways I have been asked to
come to chapter meetings and how I feel there is a disregard for
student life going on (someone else mentioned that disconnect between
the older and younger generations as well), but I feel from the
chapter that I am being pressured to choose between student life,
which is limitted at this point, and joining the NFB.  In frustration
I've said no to the chapter to this point because with the student
division in Ohio and affiliate projects I feel like I'm getting the
best of both worlds.  I don't feel like using a board position to try
to entice a student to the meetings when they are upfront about having
to take a final exam is very good, nor is the backlash I have been
getting when I say, "This happens on the same weekend as fall break, "
or "My fraternity is initiating new members today and attendance is
mandatory by all chapter members/I'm a part of the ritual."  Or, "It's
Christmas break and I'm not in Dayton right now."

The one thing that does puzzle me is along the lines of what Darian
was saying.  It is possible that the chapter president has gotten
excuses from students before, but if you hear the same "excuses" over
and over again I would think that, especially if they come from
different people including those who already support the Federation,
they might be legitimate conflicts with chapter meetings that I would
examine further to allow for the younger generation to better attend.
If he were to ask more questions to get a better answer he might not
be so disconnected.  Right now it just seems like he's only concerned
for the chapter, not the potential members who would be joining.
That's not the NFB I know at all.  Without members we do not have
chapters, so it is important to show that we care about each other as
people in different life situations in order to foster a sense of
community within the chapter organizations.

I might mention this to my state president, but at this point it's not
my top priority.  Now that I have a better sense of how to handle it I
don't feel a rush to do so.  I can't attend at least the October and
the December meetings anyway, so this semester is pretty much a wash
to begin with.