[nabs-l] Interviewing for jobs

Justin Williams justin.williams2 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 03:06:34 UTC 2016

You should present yourself as a competent candidate, in order to give your
prospective employer confidence that you can do the job.  Present yourself
as the right person for the job.  Have your accommodation and methods for
the job in mind, but don't say anything about your visual disability because
you should be focusing on how your set of abilities are an asset to the
employer. Under the ADA, the employer is not allowed to ask anything about
your disability unless it directly relates to an essential job function.  If
you mention anything about your disability, let it be to show the employer
how you have adapted to a situation in the past, and be sure to tie anything
like that back to the interview.  I've heard of interviews where the
employer focused just on the individual's disability.  I was in an interview
once where the employer was worried that JAWS wouldn't work on their system.
I didn't get that job, even though I should have; I didn't know how to
counter that, so that one is my fault.  So, unless you feel that your answer
merits mentioning of your blindness, then avoid doing so.  Remember, you,
are the agent in the field, so if you truly think that mentioning anything
blindness related will help you, then do so.
Don't ask for accommodations on a job interview, or mention that you don't
have an immediate solution for a task.  Nobody has all of the immediate
solutions for all tasks before they get onto a job.  For us however, I know
there is an extra layer of stuff, such as how are you going to read print
material or get the forms filled out and so on.  Don't mention how you are
not sure how all those tasks will be completed.  Look at the job
description, and map out in your mind how you would accomplish them; feel
free to ask us early and often, right now if you want.
For a weakness, pick a real weakness which is something that you are
genuinely striving to improve. Don't say, I'm a perfectionist, or something
that that is too obvious that an employer will see through.  Even if that is
a weakness, as it is for many of us, that is something that is used often.
For an example the weakness I'm working on is not just assuming everyone has
all the information, and  has done their due diligence with it; I just take
for granted that everyone knows what is going on, and there have been times,
that if I had taken charge, we would have accomplished our goal, or avoided
a problem.  It happened this evening actually funny enough, so I am stil a
work in progress, but Aren't we all?
If you have any questions, or you want to talk more, then just ask.

Justin