[nabs-l] Gwu aim high letter

Emma Mitchell emitchell927 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 02:48:02 UTC 2016

To whom it may concern,

We hope this letter finds you well. This year, we heard from numerous students with disabilities who are frustrated with the lack of proper accommodations that they have received. As a direct result, we conducted interviews with University administrators on the state of accessibility on our college campus. As a result, we, The George Washington University Student Association Senate, unanimously passed a bill in support of AIM-HEA. This act of support was in large part due to the urging of a member of our Universitycommunity. This student has cited that she experiences issues with accessing instructional materials in the past.

What this bill does is to reaffirm our principles as an inclusive, friendly, and accessible community for all, including for the visually and hearing impaired. What this bill does is to express our Student Association’s formal support for improving accessibility to the best of our ability. However, we believe that these values should not be limited to The George Washington University. We believe that all universities should be making a concerted effort to make their campuses and their learning materials accessible to all students. Attached is the Resolution that we passed on December 6th. This bill endorses The Access to Instructional Materials for Higher Education Act or AIM-HEA. These are values we can stand behind and these are values that I hope you can stand behind, too.

​AIM-HEA reminds us that change, at the university-level but also almost everywhere else in this world, can be difficult and can be a painstakingly slow process. It also reminds us that as elected representatives, whether that be by our fellow students or, in your case, your constituents, our job is to not only to align ourselves with the most salient, present values impacting people today, but to also identify policies, practices, and events that affect the livelihood of all students. We have a job to do to make things better and we all have a responsibility to ensure that students have equal access to education.

​We, the Student Association Senate at The George Washington university, are proud to support AIM-HEA and we hope that you support this piece of legislation too. Thank you. from my iPhone