[nabs-l] Question about College of Education Requirements

Stephanie Martin martinsteph2010 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 8 22:00:01 UTC 2016

Hi Chris.I am a recent graduate from Louisiana Tech University in the Master of
Arts in Teaching: Teaching Blind Students. For this program you do not have an undergraduate degree in teaching if you want to go the general studies or a different route. If you do want to get a Bachelors in education, Tech also has the Masters of Education: Teaching Blind Students. They are different tracks with the same result. In undergrad I started out in education and changed my last semester to general studies, because I was not interested in teaching in a full class. As an education major in undergrad I had to take the Praxis 1 which covers every subject or have at least a score of 24 on my ACT, not sure of the SAT equivalent, then take the Praxis 2 content knowledge, which for me was elementary since that was my degree, than the Praxis: PLT for elementary. The second two definitely had to be in before I student taught my last semester, but I cannot remember if the first one had to be turned in before I started methods or when I student taught, because I had a high enough score on my ACT to not worry about it again. I went to a small Christian college in Louisiana for undergrad, so I'm not sure what the difference in requirements would be, but that is what I had to do. To enter the MAT program at Tech you need to take the Praxis 2: elementary content knowledge and the GRE. The other two Praxis tests, the Visually Impaired Praxis and the Special Education Praxis, just need to be done before you student teach. I am not too sure about the requirements for the Masters of Education though if you decided to go that route. Dr. Bell would be a great person to call, because her the director the of the Institute on Blindness at Louisiana Tech. I hope this helps and if you have any additional questions or want Dr. Bell's contact information feel free to contact me off list.
Thanks,Stephanie MartinMAT TVI NCUEBwork email: stephanie.martini at lincolnschools.orgpersonal email: martinsteph2010 at yahoo.com