[nabs-l] A question about something my rehab counselor said

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 29 02:16:24 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I think it is very important to not bite off more than you can
realistically chew, and to remember that that limit can change
depending on a lot of factors including the specific courses your
taking.  I know, for example, that math and science courses are not my
strongest academic subjects, so I've tended to cut back in semesters
that had those courses in my load to allow me more time to process
information that is harder for me to understand.  I found classes in
English, psych, and philosophy much easier, so those semesters I
tended to take a slightly higher number of credits.  I go to a school
where many people in my department are pushed to take 16-20 credits
each semester plus some courses that are required but are zero credit
and graded as pass/fail, and I've found it's just super important to
know what you can handle independent of what is expected of you.  For
example, my second semester I ended up taking 22 credits, and although
I got through it with a decent GPA for the semester I was really
stressed out and had very little free time.

That being said, it isn't your VR counselor's job to tell you what to
take or not to take.  Ultimately the classes you take are your
decision and the VR counselor doesn't necessarily know what you need
to take to get your degree or the timeline suggested by your
university for getting that done.  I would just go with what your
university advisor says as they've coached a lot of students and are
more familiar with the expctations of your courses, and also remember
that your first semester of college is a huge time of learning for
you.  Maybe you'll find you can handle more than 5 classes, maybe
you'll find you need to take 4, and maybe you'll find that 5 is
perfectly comfortable for you, but I think you should take advantage
of this semester as an opportunity to figure that out for yourself
like any college freshmen would.  If your counselor persists you can
say that you're following the guidance of your advisor, and that you
realize this will be a big adjustment but you're going to go in like
any freshman and learn to cope with it, making adjustments as you go.
As long as you figure this out for yourself, and make use of the
resources available on campus if you do find you need help in
anything, you should be able to have the typical first semester
experience.

HTH.

Kaiti Shelton