[nabs-l] Question about SSI

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 3 03:42:25 UTC 2016

Hello Vejas,

I am by no means an expert regarding Social Security, so I hope other people
who are more knowledgeable about this subject will chime in on this
discussion. However, I thought I would take the time to answer your
questions in case no one else on the email list responds to you.

As for your first question, I am honestly not quite sure how far in advance
you need to notify Social Security regarding your change of address, or if
you even need to submit your change of address to your assigned case worker.
The last time I reported a change of address to Social Security, I went to a
Social Security office in person after I moved, and reported my change of
address to which ever case worker called out my number indicating my spot in
line.

I believe I decided to report my change of address in person because at the
time I only had a cell phone with a limited amount of day time minutes, and
I did not want to waste my minutes waiting on hold for someone from Social
Security to answer my call. However, I cannot believe how long I have been
living in my current apartment, so perhaps contacting Social Security is a
bit easier to do these days than the last time I changed my address with
them.

As for your second question, it seems to me if you are planning on using
your parents address as a permanent address while you are attending college
and living in a dorm that the easiest thing for you to do would be to keep
your parents address as your permanent address with Social Security.
However, I have never lived in a dorm while receiving Social Security, so
perhaps this might not necessarily be the best thing to do. It is simply
what I would probably do unless I heard someone else tell me that doing so
violates some sort of rule that goes against what seems to me the most
logical thing to do.

Anyway, I hope you find this information to be helpful. If not, I hope
others who are more knowledgeable about Social Security matters will chime
in on this discussion. However, if you are attending national convention,
there is usually a session devoted to Social Security issues where you can
ask questions regarding Social Security.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth