[nabs-l] Questions about getting assistance in airports

Kathryn Webster kathrynwebster.nfb at gmail.com
Fri May 27 19:22:25 UTC 2016

Hi Sami!

	Thanks for opening up a great discussion on the list. I am nearly
certain opinions vary greatly amongst blind students. In fact, I was talking
to a friend of mine this morning and him and my thoughts on this topic were
quite different.

The way one decides to orient oneself in an airport is dependent on the
person, the airport, and the frequency of traveling, among many other
factors. Personally, I travel quite often and do not prefer to use
assistance. That, I hope will  be something you are comfortable with one
day. In terms of traveling alone for the first time, first off,
congratulations on taking that first step toward independence! Also, you are
going to do just fine! People are there to help, employees or not. Always
ask questions if you are uncertain about a direction you are taking. I would
suggest getting acclamdated to the departure airport since you will most
likely be traveling to and from there a great deal in the future since that
is your home.

As for receiving assistance, I would suggest asking for help once you get to
the airport, articulating that you would like to learn the area as much as
you can, while being efficient on time and what not. You are so right about
the wheelchair. Unless one needs it in order to get around, there is no need
for us, as blind people, to take that option away from individuals who
really need that mode of transportation. Not to mention that we should
demonstrate our confidence and capabilities by traveling independently.
Either way, it may be a great idea to travel alongside the airport employee,
rather than sighted guide for some amounts of time. Of course, it varies on
your personal comfort level, but while walking, you can just chat with them
and walk with your cane. It will make you feel so good once you get to your
gate for the first time!

Thank you again for beginning a great conversation to the list and I'm eager
to see what others have to say. Good luck on traveling and have a blast in
California!

Best,
Kathryn