[nabs-l] Meeting with Professors in Advance

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Thu Nov 10 03:31:17 UTC 2016

Hi Vejas,

It seems curteous to introduce yourself stating who you are and you are in
their class and that you are blind. Then, certainly ask about the books.
When you do it is a personal decision. I did not do it right after
registering. Not all professors were even assigned by then. But most were.

After registering, I often waited until the end of the semester to send
potential professors emails. So, if it was for spring semester, I sent an
email in December before they went on  holiday break. How far in advance you
see the professors is also personal.
I would also consider the type of class and which accomodations you'd need.
For instance, if it is a science class, you will need more accomodations
such as tactile diagrams or models of the structures you are studying. So,
you then might want to meet the science professor more in advance than other
professors. But if it’s a sociology class or history class, chances are you
will not need many accommodations as this is mostly a lecture class
typically. So, I would not meet them in advance. I usually met professors
when the semester began during the first week or two. In my email, I asked
for a meeting. The professors usually responded they would meet me after the
first class because we did not meet the whole class period. They just went
over the syllabus first day. So, we we met after class since they already
had 30 minutes of class time built into the schedule.  Other times, I met
professors in their offices later in the day when it was convenient to them.

Ashley