[nabs-l] NFB in Canada

Elizabeth Mohnke lizmohnke at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 3 16:36:31 UTC 2016

Hello Andrew,

I do not know of any official affiliates or chapters of the NFB in Canada. However, depending on how close you live to the boarder of United States and Canada, perhaps you could become involved in one of the local chapters or affiliates that are close to the border between the united States and Canada.

for example, someone from Canada recently inquired about becoming a part of the Detroit chapter here in Michigan because this person does not live too far from Detroit somewhere in Canada. Although, even if you do not live close enough to Detroit to join in on the monthly chapter meetings, perhaps you may wish to consider joining us for our state convention this year. It will be held in Southfield, which is a suburb of Detroit, the weekend of November 4, 5, and 6, 2016. If you need help with transportation once you get to Detroit, there are members of our state affiliate who would be more than willing to help you out with transportation if it is needed.

Likewise, I do not know how far away you live from Buffalo, New York, but perhaps this might be another possibility for becoming involved with the NFB as someone who lives in Canada. And again, attending the New York state convention may also be a possibility if they are holding it some place in upstate New York.

I am not familiar with all of the crossings between the United States and Canada. However, if neither one of these points of entry into the United States work well for you, let us know, and we can help you get connected to a local chapter or state affiliate that would be the closest to you. There are also some good local chapters and state affiliates in Ohio and Pennsylvania, but I am not quite sure where the crossings are located between the United States and Canada for these two states.

Anyway, I hope you find this information to be useful. And even if you cannot find a way to get connected to a local chapter or state affiliate, there is always national convention. There are several people who attend national convention from other countries, and there is an international section of seats among the official state affiliate delegations.

Warm regards,
Elizabeth