[nabs-l] printing assignments

Kaiti Shelton crazy4clarinet104 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 01:15:07 UTC 2016

Hi Sophie,

To echo Elizabeth's suggestion, using NVDA on a flash drive in the
computer lab at the library might be a good shot for now.  I had to do
this myself recently, and although I needed a little sighted
assistance to first get NVDA up and running since a dialogue box
popped up before I got the program to speak, I was able to work on my
own to complete the print job after that.  IF you have the document
ready to go on the flash drive you shouldn't have to do anything
differently with NVDA if you don't know the differences in commands
between NVDA and Jaws.  Even so, they're very similar programs with
only subtle differences in commands for the most part.

I think there are times and places when a blind student should turn in
printed copies of materials.  For example, if I'm in a class and need
to produce copies of music I'm playing from or lyric sheets I'm using
for a music therapy experience I absolutely make the print copies.
However, I do try to minimize the amount of printed paper in my life
just because for me it's an organizational nightmare.  My university
found that it was a reasonable accommodation for me to submit all work
electronically, as it allows me to keep much better track of
assignments on the computer/notetaker.  If you think about it, if the
laptop/notetakers are our pencil and paper, it makes sense that we'd
have a better time organizing electronic files rather than print
paperwork.  Not everyone can afford KNFB Reader or other OCR
applications, but even then it can be a hastle scanning everything
multiple times to get all the information about what the paper is, and
if it's handwritten you have to get sighted assistance.  I try to just
use my best judgment and give printed paperwork when it seems fair or
necessary for me to print it out, but generally since it has been
added to my letter professors have understood the rationale behind
this accommodation and haven't had an issue with it where weekly
homework, papers, and contributions to group work are concerned.

Thanks,

On 9/12/16, Syed Rizvi via NABS-L <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Hey Sofe,
> Hope alls well. The IT department at my school settup a computer in our
> library so i can print, perhaps an email to IT and student disability
> services can make this possible for you as well. good luck
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Sep 12, 2016, at 7:57 AM, Sophie Trist via NABS-L <nabs-l at nfbnet.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Hello NABS,
>>
>> I am entering my fourth week of college and am absolutely loving it. Most
>> of my professors let us submit assignments via email or on Blackboard, but
>> I have ONE professor who insists on having hard copies. I don't have a
>> printer in my dorm room (something I'll definitely be investing in ASAP),
>> but I need a strategy in the meantime for a paper due Wednesday. The
>> library computers don't have screen readers, so I can't use them
>> independently. I was thinking I'd just one of the library workers for
>> help, but if anyone has any better ideas, shoot them my way. Hope all of
>> you are well.
>>
>> Yours,
>> Sophie

>> NABS-L: