[nabs-l] Taking public transportation on college campuses

Sami Osborne ligne14 at verizon.net
Sat Sep 24 22:07:35 UTC 2016

Hi Vejas,

I'm also a college freshman, and live in the college dorm but am
only 15 minutes away from my house so I go home on weekends.  I
use Paratransit service (called TRIPS in our county) to get back
and forth between home and my campus
on Monday mornings and Thursday nights (I don't have any classes
on Fridays).  Anyway, the place where the driver would usually
pick me up/drop me off is kind of a parking area with four
benches that is in the same area where all the (freshman) dorms
are located.  Anyway, how the driver os where to drop me off are
the following: First, this summer, I did some OandM training on
the college campus.  My instructor was the one that
recommended this location to me, and she was very generous - you
know what she did? She actually called TRIPS (the name of my
paratransit company) to tell them that they should let the
drivers know that this is the place that they should drop me off
at from now on.  Unfortunately, though, most of them (except for
one driver from my experience) don't automatically know this.
What typically happens is the following: We get to the college
campus.  Driver asks me: "OK, where do you want to be dropped off
at?" I answer: "OK, I'd like to go to Mcnelis Commons (that's the
name of my housing complex).  There should be an area between the
dorms with four benches on either side." Driver says, "OK." We
drive around the campus until the driver finds what he thinks is
my description.  He then says, "OK, here you go." I get out of
the cab and try to familiarize myself with where I am.  I always
seem to describe the drop-off location very accurately, because
so far it always has been the right place!
So what I would suggest you do is to tell the driver specifically
to locate a Jamba Juice, and that there should be a parking lot
next to it and that's where you'd like to be dropped off.  I
would also, like I mentioned before my OandM instructor did, call
the cab company and tell them to let the driver(s) know that you
want to be picked up/dropped off at that particular location.

 I hope this helps, and I hope your first semester is going well
so far.

Thanks,

Sami