[nabs-l] Ausbun for First Vice Presidentt

Cricket X. Bidleman cricketbidleman at gmail.com
Tue May 16 17:51:03 UTC 2017

Dear Michael:

First of all, I would just like to say that I very much admire your
courage in running for this honorable position. You truly exemplify
great leadership, and given how hard you've worked in the past two
years, I am incredibly excited to see what you contribute to NABS in
the future.

I am particularly impressed by your writing. I feel that, in an effort
to get officer positions, a lot of people generally tend to discuss
their experience and qualifications and just pile them up like papers
in a recycle bin. And we all know what happens to papers in a recycle
bin... They get... Reused might be a polite term. I appreciate the way
you discuss your qualifications in a relatable manner. I think your
writing embodies your voice, and that is a gift that few have.

I love how you focus not just on yourself, but on the good that your
actions have done for other people. I think that all students can
agree that the board should be willing to look beyond themselves, and
should realize that their work should benefit blind students as a
collective group. Therefore, focusing on accomplishments that only
benefit you would not be adequate, but you obviously don't have to
worry about that because you've captured your work in a positive way
that embodies the mission of NABS. That's one thing I would like to
remind everyone to remember—NABS sets out to improve the educational
rights and access of blind students, not to do things that benefit a
few people or that provide people with entertainment. We are a group
that does a lot of good, and our board should be reflective of our
mission.

Perhaps the one facet of your letter that I most admire is its
simplicity and honesty. You're not here to play childish political
games. You're not trying to win frivolous popularity contests. You're
here to get stuff done. As NABS leaders have told me, you are a mover
and a shaker. Your focus on the issues that must be resolved for blind
students and the work that has yet to be accomplished clearly exhibits
your determination, and your perspective lends a raw honesty to your
writing that is truly refreshing. Your goals are clearly laid out and
not hidden behind flowery, meaningless language. I wish everyone
running for any office anywhere wrote and campaigned the way you do.
That is what elections should be about—who is the best candidate, the
most qualified, the one ready for what the duties entail; and who will
actually get things accomplished, not who can get to the most people
to get the most votes.

In conclusion, and I do apologize for the length of this piece, I
guarantee you my full support at Convention without reservation. I am
humbled by your willingness to share your perspective with us. As a
student graduating high school in just three weeks; and as a national
scholarship finalist, I am confident in your attitude and work ethic.
As I begin my postsecondary education, I know that the membership's
investment in your leadership will be worth each of our votes. I urge
every student to consider the meaning of the words we have so
generously been given by both candidates, and to think about the goals
of both as they relate to the mission of NABS. Michael is truly
deserving. Michael has proven to be phenomenally selfless and honest,
and Michael is willing to forego politics in favor of actually
accomplishing what needs to be accomplished. The clear standout for
First VP is Michael Ausbun. Join me in voting Michael Ausbun on
Tuesday, July 11 in Orlando, Florida for this position, the role that
serves as President Webster's backup, the man ready and fit for the
job!

Best,
Cricket X. Bidleman
Stanford University, Class of 2021
NCS Pearson, Associate Quality Assurance Engineer