[NABS-L] [nabs-l] disclosing your disability on a graduate school application

Roper, Meaghan ropermeaghan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 22:40:18 UTC 2018

Danielle,

In my experience, I chose to disclose my blindness on some of  my applications because it is evident from my resume and  volunteer work that I spent a lot of time working with the blindness community  and other parts of the disability community. Although it is very possible that there may be some prejudice against you for your blindness, it is also possible that the university may recognize that you have experience and skills that your cited peers  lack because you are blind. There was probably one application that I chose not to disclose as well, I think it is up to your discretion as to whether not you disclose on each individual application. I say though, based on your email that it may be to your benefit to disclose this.
Good luck with your application.

Meaghan K.  Roper
Wheelock College | Class of 2018
Georgetown University | Class of 2019