[NABS-L] Tech In College

Sophie Trist sweetpeareader at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 19:52:17 UTC 2018

Hey Alexandra,

I hope you and all of my NABS friends are having a happy new year. There isn't a one-size-fits-all answer to your question. I am a sophomore in college, and for classes and simple assignments, I use a BrailleNote Touch. For me, this is a huge improvement over the Apex, because it can work with a wider array of file types and the internet and email are superior. I like having the ability to look at a braille display as I'm typing, without having to worry about bluetooth connections draining the battery of my devices. However, I recognize that the BN Touch is super expensive, and my way may not suit everyone. I use an iPhone for a lot of my reading assignments, because a lot of my books are either on Amazon or iBooks. KNFB Reader is worth every penny you will spend on it, if you don't already have it. Many teachers provide PDF's that are images and need to be scanned with an OCR app. I just download the PDF to my phone, send it through KNFB Reader, and voila. I also have a laptop. If you don't want to buy a BN Touch, you can pair a laptop with a braille display, and that works just as well. I wouldn't recokmend an iPad, because it does pretty much what the iPhone does. I think there are a few apps you can use on the iPad that don't work with the phone, but I don't know a lot about those. I'd say your best bet is a laptop with a braille display or a notetaker. Good luck with the last half of your senior year!

Yours sincerely,
Sophie Trist