[NABS-L] taking an online math course in college

Mausam Mehta mausam.mehta00 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 20:40:23 UTC 2018

On 3/19/18, Roanna Bacchus via NABS-L <nabs-l at nfbnet.org> wrote:
> Hi Ana thanks for your message. I agree that you need braille to complete
> your coursework in math. While I was in college, I took two economics
> classes as a substitution for a regular college math course. I would suggest
> that you email the professor ahead of time and ask for the name of the
> textbook before the semester begins.
>
> On Mar 18, 2018 10:36 PM, Ana Martinez via NABS-L <nabs-l at nfbnet.org>
> wrote:
>>
>> hi all, I would like some advice. so next semester I'll be taking an
>> algebra course. although the class is face to face, the professor does
>> everything online. we have an online math book and all the tests and
>> assignments are online. I can't really see how accessible the course will
>> be because I won't have access to the online course until next semester.
>> personally, I learn better when I have things in braille, specially math.
>> I don't think braille is going to be an option next semester, specially
>> because of the course format. I'm just looking for some suggestions, or
>> what has worked for some of you in the past, as far as taking an online
>> math course and doing algebra in the computer.
>> thanks!
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>> NABS-L:
>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/rbacchus228%40gmail.com

> NABS-L:
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nabs-l_nfbnet.org/mausam.mehta00%40gmail.com

Hi Ana and all,
All of these are great suggestions, as many have said already.
I certainly agree that you should do what works for you. If you prefer
Braille and think it would make the course easier and more accessible
for you, that is definitely a great option. As already stated, you can
order your textbooks before the class begins, or have them scanned
into Braille. If you have an embosser, you may be able to finagle that
somehow.
Anna has a great point about math with speech. I have found it to work
very well for me. I am taking stats and multi-variable calculus face
to face, but all of the assignments are online. I use notepad and
ASCII to work problems on my laptop with JAWS. It is not perfect, but
it gets the job done in a pretty efficient manner. Of course, it is a
learning curve, and if you are not comfortable with it, don't stress
yourself out about it.
It is always good to have multiple ways of access.
Good luck,
Mausam