[NABS-L] Tips on using a support cane

Ben Fulton bluezinfandel at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 8 14:33:10 UTC 2018

Hi Rania,

I had a sprain a while ago now.
You will need to use the support cane in the same hand as the injured ankle. So, if you sprained your right ankle, you will need to use the support cane in your right hand. This means you will be using your long cane in your left hand. It might take some getting used to if you are right handed, but I have found benefits to being able to use my white cane in either hand.

Also, I found that if I was wearing jeans, I could loop the elastic on my cane around a belt loop. This would let me keep the cane on my person, while leaving my hand free. You might find this especially usefull if you need one hand for the support cane.

The technique to using your white cane will be about the same, other than having to adjust to using a different hand, and you will likely be going a lot slower, but it shouldn't be too much of an adjustment.

All the best,
Ben