[NABS-L] Spatial Orientation Experiences

Emmanuelle Lo singingemmanuelle at gmail.com
Thu Aug 1 02:45:29 UTC 2019

Hi Amy,

I think this is a really interesting discussion. I was also born blind, though I could see light and colors when I was younger. When I think about how to get around, I don't literally see images in my head, but I also don't use words to figure out where to go. I imagine myself walking, but it's from the first person perspective. For example, when I think about going from my dorm room to the cafeteria, I remember myself walking out the door, turning left when I find the intersecting sidewalk, walking straight uphill, then veering slightly right, then going downhill. So I'm basically reliving the memory of walking the route. This definitely doesn't happen right away, though, and I have to practice a lot of times before I can remember what to do this clearly. I've found that, since being on a college campus and frequently needing to get to places I haven't walked to with my O&M instructor, I've started to pay more and more attention to not only landmarks, but also changes in the paths (uphill, downhill, etc.) and LOTS of sound cues. The rest of my method involves getting lost and asking directions a bunch of times until my mental map/memory of that new route starts to develop.

I hope this explanation made some sense. Best of luck to you. I know how frustrating O&M can be sometimes.

Cheers!
Emmie