[NABS-L] Reading Symbols Inserted using MS Office Equation Editor (cross posted)

Miso Kwak misokwak12 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 21:49:08 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,
I am taking a statistics course and on today's slide deck, my
professor had the following text:
• Suppose a population has 𝑁 members
• We take a simple random sample of size 𝑛 when we sample in such a
way that every collection of 𝑛 members of the population is equally
likely to be selected
If you are reading this email using JAWS 2018 or the like, it probably
read italic capital n and italic small n. (These are symbols that were
inserted using the equation editor function on the Power point.)
However, I typically access the slides using Braille Sense Polaris,
and the device was unable to recognize these symbols. I tried using my
Polaris as a braille display connected with my PC, but the symbols
were not recognized that way either. I was wondering if anyone knows a
way for my Braille Sense Polaris to recognize the symbols on its own?
Alternatively, what is the best way to raise concerns such as this to
HIMS? I think it is important that we can read symbols like these on
Braille Sense Polaris.

Thanks in advance.

Miso