[NABS-L] Self employment inquiry

Gabriel Mendez-Frances mendezgabriel2000 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 17:27:44 UTC 2019

Hey Mariya,

I've been self-employed for over a year now and I can tell you some of the
pros and cons I've experienced.

PROS
- You can set your own schedule and work when you want
- You have the freedom to work wherever you want
- You can set your own prices based on what you think your work is worth.
- As long as you have a phone, a computer, and an internet connection you
won't need anything else.

CONS
- Your tax situation gets a bit more complicated than with a W2. Business
tax deductions, tax credit criteria, and having to account for business
expenses can be a hassle.
- You will likely earn less than you expect at first since you have to
build your brand first.
- You will have to find clients and deal with unexpected circumstances like
them not paying you or disappearing on you without a trace.

I think the best thing about freelancing/self-employment is that you don't
have to worry about transportation to and from work. It definitely isn't
for everyone, but it can serve as a good source of alternative income if
you're dedicated to it.

--

Sincerely,

Gabriel Mendez-Frances