[NABS-L] Blind college students needed for research study on perceptions of STEM online learning

Blake, Lou Ann LBlake at nfb.org
Mon Oct 21 21:21:30 UTC 2019

The below research participant solicitation is being provided for informational purposes only. The National Federation of the Blind has no involvement in this research, but we believe that it may contribute to our research mission.

This study aims to delineate the central phenomenon of experiences of college students with low vision and blindness who are either pursuing or have pursued STEM related degrees in accredited post-secondary institutions in the United States. The focus is on exploration of the perceptions of post-secondary students with blindness regarding the quality and accessibility of online STEM curriculum and the instructional environments (i.e., either synchronous or asynchronous). Your participation will give us valuable firsthand information from your own perspective and greatly contribute to the integrity of this study.

This study involves one 60-minute informal online interview that will take place at a mutually convenient time. With your consent, interviews will be audio-recorded. We are simply trying to capture your thoughts and perspectives on being a STEM student in online course settings. Your responses to the questions will be kept confidential. All personal identifiers will be erased during the analysis and write up of findings. Once the recording has been transcribed, the audio-recording will be destroyed.

There is no compensation for participating in this study. However, your participation will be a valuable addition to our research and findings could lead to greater public understanding of STEM students with low vision or blindness in post-secondary institutions and inform faculty to optimize curriculum and instruction to benefit all students.

You will have the right to end your participation in the study at any time, for any reason. If you choose to withdraw, all the information you have provided will be destroyed.

The ethics protocol for this project was reviewed by New Mexico State University Office of Research Integrity and Compliance, which provided clearance to carry out the research. (Clearance expires on: 09/15/2020.)

If you would like to participate in this research project, or have any questions, please contact:
Dr. Sathiyaprakash Ramdoss at sramdoss at ashland.edu or 419-207-4938.
Or
Dongmei Liu at dmliu6 at nmsu.edu<mailto:dmliu6 at nmsu.edu>

Sincerely,

Dr. Sathiyaprakash Ramdoss
Ms. Dongmei Liu

Lou Ann Blake, J.D.
Deputy Executive Director, Blindness Initiatives
200 East Wells Street, Baltimore, MD 21230
(410) 659-9314, extension 2221 | lblake at nfb.org<mailto:lblake at nfb.org>

[National Federation of the Blind]<https://nfb.org/>

                         [Facebook] <http://www.facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind>     [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/NFB_Voice>     [Youtube] <https://www.youtube.com/NationsBlind>

The National Federation of the Blind is a community of members and friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.

Disclaimer