[NABS-L] Seeking Help with excel data analysis tools

Ka Li ka.yat.li at gmail.com
Wed Jan 29 00:45:12 UTC 2020

Hello,

I've been spending some time with the Data analysis tool pack in Excel
making histograms and bar charts. I'm still learning how to use it
making other types of content so there will be things that I won't have
answers for yet but below are my instructions for making frequency
histograms with the tool using NVDA.

1. Open excel and either load a table of data or enter your own. In
terms of layout, you want to enter your headers on the top row and add
your data  underneath each header in columns. For example with reaction
time, you might want a column for reaction times, and another one for
the bins.

2. Run the Data analysis tool pack and choose histogram. Click the 'ok'
button or just press enter once your focus is on it.

3. In the new window that appears, the first field you land on is the
input range, either use shift+arrow keys to select or type in a range.
If the data for reaction times was in column A, you would enter the
coordinates of the cells you want to include and the last cell excluding
the header. For example, if we had 30 entries you can  input  A2:a31
into the input range editfield.

4. Tab once to the Bin range editfield and either select or type in the
coordinates for the column contain the data for your bins like you did
with the previous field.

5. Tab to 'chart output.' and check it. Alternatively, you can use the
shortcut alt-C to do this.

6. Click on the 'okay' button. You are now on a new sheet with the data
shown visually also displayed in a table. Visually, You now have a bar
chart because there are gaps between the bars. To make it a histogram,
we need to get rid of the gaps.

7. Select the chart. Since I use NVDA, I press NVDA-F7 to bring up a
list of charts and press enter on the one that's on the sheet. There
should only be one in the list.

8. Right click or Press the applications key to bring up a list of
options. navigate to 'format data series' and select it. You can also
use the shortcut 'f'.

9. Tab to gap width. You'll see a slider as well as an edit box. You can
use either one of those controls to reduce the gap. If I remember right,
There's no 'ok' button so just hit escape to close.

10. If you are back in the spreadsheet, just use NVDA-F7 again to go
back into the chart. Now, navigate to the 'chart title' with your arrow
keys and right click on it. Navigate to 'edit text' and select it. Type
in your text. For some reason, the backspace key doesn't work. Only the
delete key works. If you're using NVDA, there will not be any feedback.

11. Once you're done, just use your arrow keys to to go to 'primary
category access title' and do the same thing as the previous step, right
click go to edit text, and type in your label for the X-axis. By
default, the Y-axis is labelled as frequency so we don't need to change it.

12. You're done. If you select the chart again and don't move around
once you're in it, you can right click, go to 'copy the selection' or
use shorcut C, open Microsoft word, and just paste it in there like you
would with text.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Ka Li