[NABS-L] Accommodations for deaf-blind students

maurice mines maurice at maurice-amines.com
Wed Jun 24 23:14:58 UTC 2020

Good afternoon, I should probably clarify something, there is not a student group within the national Federation of the blind deaf blind division. That being said your email was forwarded on to our national debt blind division secretary who is a current student. And our first Vice President who has a Masters degree. My comments are based on the experience of attempting to learn American Sign Language after losing pretty much all of my hearing except for maybe two or 3%.

The FM system was purchased for me by the state that I lived in while attending the Helen Keller national Center for deaf and blind use and adults. Located in Sandpoint New York. It is a training center who so focus is to get deaf blind people started on working on their own lives and learning and using the skills of death blindness. Although Hknc  does not share the positive philosophy of blindness that we in the national Federation of the blind have. They do very definitely teach one about how to live as a duck blind person.

Let me know if there’s anything that the division can help you with in terms of obtaining what you need to further your graduate school work. I hope this helps?

Maurice Mines, Board Member
National Federation of the Blind Deaf-Blind Division
Email: board4 at nfbdeaf-blind.org <mailto:board4 at nfbdeaf-blind.org>
Website: www.nfbdeaf-blind.org <http://www.nfbdeaf-blind.org>
Live the life you want.
The National Federation of the Blind Deaf-Blind Division, a proud division
of the National Federation of the Blind, is a community of members and
friends who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation's blind. Every day
we work together to help blind people live the lives they want.