[NABS-L] IDEA UNDER ATTACK! | The Blind Advocate Network

Armando Vias avias at theblindadvocate.net
Thu Mar 19 22:57:34 UTC 2020

https://theblindadvocate.net/idea-under-attack/

IDEA UNDER ATTACK!
A Facebook post below, written by a student named Nina plus other posts, describes the law, Individuals With Disabilities Education Act, (IDEA), in which the law gives rights to students with disabilities. It is being under attack by legislation this weekend! Below, you will find the post in quotation marks, including the post itself written by the student.

Other posts will be shown as well from other people, including the latest posts from The Blind Advocate Network social media. Please, if you have a minute, call your Senators Office at (202) 224-3121. We must not change the Individuals With Disabilities Education Act! Please stay updated as this page will be updated periodically. Please, consider sharing this page with anyone.

“Many of us received word not even a few hours ago that as a part of the legislative response to COVID-19, Senator and Chairman of the HELP Committee Lamar Alexander from Tennessee has included a clause that would allow schools to wave the rights of students granted by the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. This legislation could drop as soon as this weekend! This means that in a time where the classroom has been turned upside-down, with so many schools moving to distance learning, our K-12 students would lose their rights to an Individualized Education Plan, to accommodations on assignments and exams, etc. In a time of crisis, the rights of our students can not be violated!

Please, please, please! If you are able to reach out to your Senators and educational staffers, please do so! This will affect so many students, and while I understand that the whole country is in panic, that is no reason to take away our kids’ rights to an equal education.

Please share! This will affect students, educators, parents, administrators, and so many others.”