[NABS-L] The Ohio Association of Blind Students Brings You TwoBlind Brothers!

Cricket X. Bidleman cricketbidleman at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 17:33:55 UTC 2021

Hi all,

This video and the company seem to be super problematic. As someone
mentioned, the sending of gifts without knowing what they are does not
portray the blind experience at all. There is no description of the
product, and the way the video talks about the product, it's like
they're saying that looks don't matter. I'm definitely not a
fashionista--I still wear my brother's old shorts on occasion--but I
have a concept of visual stuff. I choose to prioritize comfort over
visuals, but others do not. That needs to be respected. It also
portrays someone as incapable of being independent ("I have a brother
who helps me get through problems every day"). One person asks how he
can play a sport, and the brother replies that "You just go bat at
it". This does not reflect NFB philosophy, and is actually dangerous
to those who believe in independence. This furthers the stereotype of
blind people, and people with disabilities, needing help and being
unable to achieve independence.

Donating all funds to charities and science is very noble, but the
question of how the company runs itself with no funding from the
purchases is not answered. What foundations does the company donate
to? There is no audible information about the price, or how to
purchase, etc. There are no customer testimonials, aside from the
founders. I would be mildly tempted into thinking that this might be
some sort of scam. Then again, I'm a pessimist. Always open tohearing
alternate perspectives though.

Best,
Cricket

--