[NABS-L] Preparing Blind People for the Rest of Reality

Joe Orozco jsoro824 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 15:46:45 UTC 2021

Tyler,

I'm sorry you took my invitation to lay out your position as an
"article-writing pissing contest." From my perspective, that sort of
response speaks more deeply to what you feel about me as an individual
than you might about the views expressed. Ironically, I don't think we
disagree anywhere as vehemently as you want to convince yourself.

For example, we fully agree that helping people should be about
helping them meet their goals. My blog, taken as a whole, is about
helping people, blind or sighted, become self-sufficient. It's less
about prescription and more about creating options. And, sure, a lot
of my advice will be drawn from personal experience; therefore, my
advice will be biased, but I trust people's intelligence to take the
advice, or not, and if they take it, to give it the value they paid
for. This is not all that different from your philosophy. I know we
all want to believe our beliefs are neutral. They are not, largely
because of the very same experiences you point out that shape us, but
good thing we have free agency to adopt what makes sense for us and
dismiss the rest.

It's flattering you believe I have so much influence over the
blindness community that one article could have a detrimental effect
on people's livelihood. Alas, I do not. And a good thing too. Long
after people forget about this article, I am going to continue
compounding my personal success, and if someone out there took my
advice to compound their own, so much the better.

Joe