[NABS-L] Preparing Blind People for the Rest of Reality

Kiehl, Emily (kiehley) kiehley at mail.uc.edu
Wed Apr 14 18:19:31 UTC 2021

Hello,

I had to read your article a few times through before composing an adequate response. While I understand your focus on providing a “realist’s” view, it seems like you are coming from a place of denunciation and stigmatization. As a young blind woman doing the best I can with the cards I’ve been dealt, I took the criticism in your article personally. It is incorrect to assume that all blind people are in the same position and that we all are at fault for challenges that we encounter. I agree with you that we are competing in a sighted world and that braille and JAWS are incredibly important tools, but those skills take time to learn. Everybody has a different story and although blindness is not what holds us back, in reality, sometimes it slows us down.

In response to your thoughts on blind people in the workplace, we can’t focus on what should or shouldn’t be, we can only work from the current situation. The NFB isn’t an accurate sample of the blind population in the US, and so the percentage of us that focus on improving life for those in our community (vocational rehab, TVIs, or leaders in blindness organizations) is going to be skewed. The vast majority of my blind peers study something unrelated to blindness. I am in IT, one of my best friends is studying environmental science, a classmate is studying neurology, and I know people in and outside of the NFB in everything from law to sports administration to engineering. It is easy to go about life without meeting another blind person outside of a blindness organization, but we’re there. I promise.

Lastly, I want to address your comment about college being much easier now than it ever has been. I had to laugh this one off before it made my blood boil. College isn’t a walk in the park. College is more like running a marathon through a park that’s on fire while being chased by wolves. And doing that blind will never be easy.

I appreciate your time and your willingness to share your thoughts. I’d love to continue the conversation.

Thank you,

Emily Kiehl
University of Cincinnati | 2023
Information Technology - Networking
National Association of Blind Students - Ohio
813-394-2720