[NABS-L] Federation Philosophy and Reproductive Rights

Justin Salisbury PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu
Tue Mar 2 18:08:07 UTC 2021

Hi everyone,

I want to share with everyone a piece that I was fortunate enough to publish in the March issue of the Braille Monitor. I am hopeful that it will lead to meaningful reflection and discussion. Don't feel like you cannot disagree with me, but, if you do, please explain why in a way that will not scare off someone who might be brand new to our mailing list.

Some of us may have heard people say something like "I am a member of the National Federation of the Blind; therefore, I am 100 percent pro-life," or "I am a member of the National Federation of the Blind; therefore, I am 100 percent pro-choice." I contend that the Federation philosophy is not inherently pro-life or pro-choice, but there are perhaps meaningful applications of our philosophy in the area of reproductive rights.

Here it is:

https://www.nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm21/bm2103/bm210314.htm

Aloha,

Justin

Justin Mark Hideaki Salisbury
he/him/his

Phone: 808.797.8606
Email: President at Alumni.ECU.edu<mailto:President at Alumni.ECU.edu>
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/justin-salisbury
ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Justin_Salisbury

"Once social change begins, it cannot be reversed. You cannot un-educate the person who has learned to read. You cannot humiliate the person who feels pride. You cannot oppress the people who are not afraid anymore."

Cesar Chavez