[NABS-L] Federation Philosophy and Reproductive Rights

Blind allday blind247365 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 00:54:27 UTC 2021

Hello Justen,

What I meant when I said

“I think you were trying to be controversial but at the same time not be controversial.”

It starts with the intro of your article from the editor.

“Here is what he has to say about the controversial subject of reproductive rights and issues we should consider as Federations:”

The issue in your article isn’t if people are prolife or pro-choice which is where the controversial part comes in. You didn’t say how you feel either way. The only thing that comes close to touching the subject is when you said

“I personally know many people who were born blind, and I can say with certainty that my life is better because they are in it. If they had been sacrificed, euthanized, aborted, or whatever someone would call it, I would not have been able to benefit from the positive contributions that they have brought into my life.”

The part of you not trying to be controversial is the main point of your article which is not women should have the choice to make whatever decision they want but can’t independently because everything is inaccessible and Societal attitudes about blindness get in the way, which I believe that most people would not disagree with that. Those two main factors prohibiting women to independently make whatever decision they want. Not which decision they should choose but the decision to independently choose.

To your point when you said

“One common idea in NFB philosophy, so far as I understand it, is that it is counterproductive to have special discounts for the blind for services that everyone may access. For example: transit fares. In the US, you can often find some kind of discounted fare on a bus or train if you have a disability, but even someone as wealthy as Jim Givens, a blind guy who happens to be CEO of Goodwill Industries International, a very wealthy conglomerate of subminimum wage sheltered workshops, can go to an Amtrak (train) counter, and get a discounted fare just because he is blind. I doubt he takes Amtrak because he makes so much money as the Goodwill CEO, but he could. The system is not set up for poor people to be able to get a discounted Amtrak fare; it is about blindness. This kind of program can contribute to a perpetuation of negative attitudes about blindness. This kind of logic, in my opinion, would likely be applied to any kind of healthcare to basically say that blind people shouldn't be given a special blind discount for healthcare, but if there are healthcare programs for low-income people, those should be equally accessible for us.”

The analogy I am going to make is a little different but why does the NFB want special departments to service the blind inside or beside the main vocational departments across the country? They’re sending the message that blind people are different from other people with disability’s based solely on blindness.

Imagine Jim Givens being denied acceptance to LCB, CCB or Blind INC because he is rich and can afford to be carried everywhere if he wanted to as a way of travel and could pay people to do everything for him.  I doubt he would do this, and I doubt the LCB, CCB and blind INC would deny   his acceptance, but it is good to know and to have those three centers for everyone in place if ever needed.

To your last point

“The NFB has also spoken up about taking away the waiting period for folks approved for disability benefits through the Social Security Administration to get their first checks and to get their healthcare plans that come with that.”

This is a great thing but it’s counterintuitive do we want help because of our blindness or don’t we? I remember reading that people inside the NFB didn’t want a tax credit because it was a handout. They also didn’t want braille on hotel doors. The NFB and ACB philosophy are both right and wrong. Society has to adapt to us, and we have to adapt to society to an extent. Blindness is both a characteristic and handicap.

It’s Aaron Espinoza. Blind All Day is to pay homage to my obsession to all things related to blindness.

Blind247365