[NABS-L] How To Stop Jaws from Reading All Punctuations

Justin Young jty727 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 18:57:22 UTC 2021

Hi Elizabeth,

Not sure if anyone has answered your question yet, but you can change
both these things in JAWS settings. Once JAWS for Windows is opened,
navigate to your JAWS user interface which can be done by hitting
alt+tab until JAWS says something like JAWS Home or JAWS Professional
or whatever else your JAWS program is called. Once there, hit alt+the
letter o to get to options. Once you are there, hit the down arrow key
until you hear voices. Hit the right arrow key and you should hear
Voice Adjustment. Hit enter to open this and then keep hitting tab
until you hear Voice Rate and this will be like a combo box so you
need to hit the right/left arrow keys to adjust the speaking rate.
Once you've selected the rate that you want, you can hit tab again to
adjust the level of punctuations read. I suspect the level currently
selected is all meaning it will read all of the punctuations. For me I
have selected most and JAWS doesn't say ! ; or the others so that
might help, but what I would suggest is opening up a word document and
typing a few sentences with different punctuations and play with the
setting in JAWS for reading punctuations. This is how I learned what
JAWS would or wouldn't read when playing with this particular setting.

Hope this is helpful for anyone else with a similar question,

Justin Young