[nagdu] visiting

Hope Paulos hope.paulos at maine.edu
Mon Dec 8 02:12:44 UTC 2008

Hi there.  I'm by no means an expert, and I think you've been a
handler for much longer than I have, smile, but I had the same
problem.  If the dog is going up to people in harness, don't let
him be like petted in harness.  If people want to pet him, take
the harness off.  I know you say you don't feel you need to do
this, but it seems that, like you say, he isn't able to
distinguish between work and play.  Work means harness on and
all business.  Play, obviously is harness off and people can pet.
I started doing that and things have gotten much better.  When
someone reaches down to pet my dog, even if we're just standing
there and she's in harness, she'll switch to my right side to get
away from the people.  She will not do this when walking, she'll
just keep on going to her destination.
Hope and Beignet

Dog Users" <nagdu at nfbnet.org