[nagdu] Barking

Cyndy Otty ceotty at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 14:29:35 UTC 2008

This sounds like what Fidelco calls "*targetting*" — I know a few other
schools are doing similar commands, too. The way Fidelco teaches it is that
you have a treat in your fist and when your dog hears its name, she should
touch her nose to your hand and she gets the treat. You start out with the
dog right in front of you in a *sit* and then work up the complexity, such
as making your dog touch an empty fist first then the fist with the treat
(before getting the treat) or being further from the dog and making her come
to you, sit and touch your hand before getting the treat. Anyway, the basic
idea is that you get your dog's attention via positive reinforcement. It has
practical applications, too, such as being able to recall your dog or get
them into harness or in conjunction with *leave it*. When using it with *leave
it*, you call the dog's name when she's distracted (or doing something she
shouldn't be) and if she doesn't respond *then and only then* do you correct
with a *leave it* and call the dog's name again.

As for using it with the aggression issue, well, I can't say much on that.
Aggression is an issue all onto itself and my personal opinion is that
you'll need more than just yourself to deal with that. I would definitely
insist an instructor come out to observe the dog or as Julie suggested try
and get a local behaviorist or trainer to help you out.

Regards,
Cyndy