[nagdu] dog corrections

AnnaLisa Anderson annalisa at sector14.net
Sat Aug 29 18:52:51 UTC 2009

Hi Gary,

Like Julie J, I also use a combination of clicker training and punitive
corrections.  I learned about clicker training a few years ago when I
attended a seminar for guide dog users to teach us clicker training, and
that is the way now that I teach Sundance anything new or reward her for
finding things etc.  She is a pretty soft temperament though, so harsh
corrections don't work for her, she just shuts down.  I also use the same
martingale-style collar that Julie does, which works very well for Sunny.
It was funny, when I was at convention this summer, several of the Leader
Dog trainers I spoke to remarked on the fact that Sunny was wearing a
martingale, and praised me for it.  I say funny because I wasn't expecting
that.  I didn't think they would yell at me for it either, but I wasn't
expecting them to be so positive about it.  It sounds like they may be
switching to those in the near future, which I am glad about.  Leader uses a
much more positive approach in training now, including the clicker, which I
am also glad about.  Oh, and I do also occasionally use a Gentle Leader with
Sunny too, if she is really distracted or if there is a lot of food
around.... She is extremely food motivated.  <smile>

AnnaLisa and Sundance