[nagdu] Trice Update

Tamara Smith-Kinney tamara.8024 at comcast.net
Wed Dec 9 05:48:55 UTC 2009

Oh!  I get it.  You're answering another post from someone else.  It's late,
and it took me a minute.

Even though I am not the one you were asking, I will say that your
stick-to-it-iveness is a good quality in a guide dog user.  And it does
sound to me like you're learned a lot from your experiences with Trice and
your previous dog (wasn't it Myrtle?).  No matter how much publicity blather
there is about how a precious guide dog gives us confidence and dignity, the
truth is that learning to travel with one day in, day out is a learning
experience.  I'm always really struck by the long-time guide dog users who
describe their learning experience with their 5th or 7th or whatever guide
dog.  And by the long-time guide dog users who have had mahy successful
partnerships who can also describe their bad matches and the pain of having
to retire a dog because it just wasn't working.  That was a real help to me
during Mitzi's guide dog training and the team building process that
followed.  She's turned out pretty great, and the things that used to worry
me quite a lot hav smoothed out, but I went through quite a few months where
every little thing would send me into fits in case it meant she just wasn't
going to work out...  I thought it was just me as a first-time guide dog
user and owner-trainer, but now I realize that it comes with territory.
/smile/

Only you can decide whether guide dog use is right for you.  Despite the
difficulties you've had, you're willing to give it another go because you
prefer that method of travel.  And you've demonstrated you're willing to
deal with and learn from some of the, er, hassles that go with having a
guide dog.

One of my friends who is a new guide dog user was a disgusted as just about
anybody about the whole "guide dogs give blind people confidence and
dignity" PR schtick.  And especially the "blind people can't go out the door
without one of our dogs" routine!

Now that she has a dog, we like to let each other know when one of our dogs
does something completely embarrassing.  Yup!  Good thing I have a dog to
give me dignity!  /lol/  Or there's the self-confidence that comes from
realizing that *everyone* knows your dog's name...  But they've never
actually noticed you were tagging along with her.  /grin/  I answer to "Hi,
Mitz!" shouted from an open car window now.

Anyway, that's just a silly side to having a guide dog.  There's the really
great side like hard traffic checks and the like, like whizzing past all
those obstacles you would have to explore a way around with your cane,
finding the restroom (a big one for sure!), and all the useful things they
do to compensate for the 2 degree midnight potty because they got into
something they shouldn't...  /grin/

Tami Smith-Kinney