[nagdu] Who's in charge!

Ann Edie annedie at nycap.rr.com
Wed Dec 9 21:10:41 UTC 2009

Hi, All,

Training is definitely a 2-way street.  In fact, whenever two living beings
are interacting, they are training each other.  Dogs are very good, both as
a species and individually, at learning how to get us to give them what they
want, whether that is food, play, patting and physical closeness, or
whatever.  And they are very good at reinforcing us when we produce what
they want; They eagerly eat the food that we set down for them--Have you
ever noticed how annoying and frustrating it is to prepare food for an
animal or a human, for that matter, and to then have the recipient reject
it--Bummer! Punishment indeed!  They look so cute when we give them a treat;
they wag their tails when we talk to them or play with them; they roll over
on their backs and make funny noises which make us laugh when we let them up
on the bed.  They never fail to use reinforcement to keep the behaviors
strong in us that satisfy their needs and wants.

There's nothing wrong with noticing and willingly participating in the 2-way
training conversation.  In fact, it's the way relationships are built and
maintained.  For example, it could be said that I have Panda trained to
stand quietly at the back of her little stall before I put down her food in
the front corner.  But it could be equally truly said that Panda has me
trained to deliver her food when she stands quietly in the back corner of
her stall.  It could also be said that I have Panda trained to perform guide
behaviors for me such as stopping at curbs or showing me where the steps
are.  But from her point of view, I'll bet that she thinks that she has me
trained to click and treat whenever she stops at a curb or shows me where
the steps are.

The problem comes when we don't realize exactly what behaviors we are
reinforcing and therefore causing to occur more often in the future.  For
example, the parent who lets the toddler whine and beg for 15 minutes for
the toy or candy in the store, and then gives in and buys what the child
wants, just to get a little peace, has just taught the child that it must
whine and beg for at least 15 minutes in order to get the desired result.
When the child gets the desired toy or snack, he rewards the parent by
quieting down, which strengthens the parent's behavior of giving in to his
demands.  So it's not so much a matter of who is training whom; it's more a
matter of whether one is in fact training the other to perform a behavior
that he will actually want repeated in the long term as opposed to just
taking action to react to an immediate situation.  That's not to say that we
always make the right training choices.  Of course, we make mistakes.  But
if we understand that all interactions between living beings result in
training, then we will realize when we have inadvertently trained something
that we don't necessarily want in the long term.  If we realize that we have
dug ourselves a little training hole, then we can devise a training plan to
get us out of the hole and to get a result that we prefer, without getting
mad at the other being for just being responsive to our training.

Some say that cats are the best trainers of humans, but I don't know, I
think both horses and dogs are very observant and clever trainers of their
humans.

Best,
Ann