[nagdu] confirm cases of dogs getting swine flu from humans

Ginger Kutsch gingerKutsch at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 23 02:15:25 UTC 2009

Dear Marion,

The CDC released an update today about H1N1 in pets. Here's an
excerpt  which can be viewed at:

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/qa.htm#f

What animals can be infected with the 2009 H1N1 virus?
In addition to humans, live swine and turkeys, a small number of
ferrets (which are highly susceptible to influenza A viruses),
domestic cats and dogs have been infected with 2009 H1N1 virus.
In addition, 2009 H1N1 virus infection was reported in a cheetah
in the United States. CDC is working closely with domestic and
international public and animal heath partners to continually
monitor reports of 2009 H1N1 in animals and will provide
additional information to the public as it becomes available.

How do pets become infected with 2009 H1N1?
All available information suggests that the ferrets and domestic
cats infected with 2009 H1N1 infections acquired the virus
through close contact with ill humans.

Can I get 2009 H1N1 influenza from my pet?
Available evidence suggests that transmission has been from ill
humans to their companion animals. No evidence is available to
suggest that animals are infecting humans with 2009 H1N1 virus.

What do I do if I am sick with flu-like symptoms and I have pets?
If you are sick with influenza-like-illness, take the same
precautions with your pets that you would to keep your family and
friends healthy:

Cover your coughs and sneezes
Wash your hands frequently
Minimize contact with your pets until 24 hours after your fever
is gone

What should I do if I suspect my pet has 2009 H1N1 influenza
virus?
If members of your household have flu-like symptoms, and your pet
exhibits respiratory illness, contact your veterinarian.

Is there a vaccine available for my pet?
Currently, there is not a licensed and approved 2009 H1N1 vaccine
for pets. (There is a canine influenza vaccine, which protects
dogs from the H3N8 canine flu virus, but it will not protect pets
against the 2009 H1N1 virus, and the H3N8 vaccine should not be
used in any species other than dogs.)

How serious is this disease in pets?
Pet ferrets with naturally occurring 2009 H1N1 infection have
exhibited illness similar in severity to that seen in ferrets
exposed to seasonal influenza viruses and to 2009 H1N1 virus in
laboratory settings.  Clinical signs exhibited have included
sneezing, inactivity, and weight loss.  Of the reported cases,
most of the pets have recovered fully with supportive care,
although some have died.

Additional Information
American Veterinary Medical Association
http://www.avma.org/public_health/influenza/new_virus/default.asp