[nagdu] Jury finds IA Dept. for Blind'sguidedog policy does not discriminate

Angie Matney leadinglabbie at mpmail.net
Sat Feb 21 04:00:19 UTC 2009

>Also, Angie said "Still, I really don't see why guide dog use during
>mobility training at centers must be an all
>or nothing deal. " It's this way because NFB centers teach cane travel not
>dog travel. While I believe the travel instructors at the LCB are phenomenal
>they aren't going to be able to teach me much if anything about traveling
>with a dog because that's not their area of expertise. On the flip side, I
>wouldn't go to Seeing Eye and expect my instructor to be able to educate me
>in the ways of cane travel for the same reason!

Hi Meleah,

My statement doesn't imply that NFB center instructors should "teach dog travel." It does suggest that people who profess to teach *orientation,* along with mobility, could do a bit better at considering how to incorporate different *mobility* aids into
the *orientation* lessons. The guide dog schools do not claim to teach *orientation.* They teach the use of a particular mobility tool. This is different, IMO, than teaching all aspects of travel skills.

I think it's possible for a center to only teach cane travel but to allow the experienced guide-dog user to use the dog in *some* situations.

Best,

Angie