[nagdu] RE : Pooper scooper laws and ..................Cops / SunTran bus company

Mardi Hadfield wolfsinger.lakota at gmail.com
Fri Jan 16 22:57:00 UTC 2009

Hi every one,     The pooper scooper laws in Tucson AZ exempt all disable
people.   I am lucky that my dogs seems to take care of this before we leave
the house,and I have never had to pick up after them in public. I do have to
pick up after my dogs in my yard,which I do. I would also pick up after them
in public if they did leave a pile. If I could not find a garbage can, I
would not put it in my pocket though as It is warm here even in the winter
and the odor would be very evident,so I would probably leave it, especially
in the summer. The cops out here are not sensitive to the disabled and I
have had my share of incidents with them and so have a lot of other disabled
people.I once tried to get on a bus at the down town bus depot,and the
driver shut the door in my face and drove away and left me. I asked for a
supervisor and was met with a very bad attitude from a cop. He told me that
the driver did not have to let me on the bus and if I persisted in causing a
problem for the drivers, he would see that I was banned from riding the bus.
I was not rude or nasty, but I was upset as I was going to be late for my
Dr's appointment and if I am real late ,they won't see me. This cop took my
picture and said he was forwarding it to the bus company and it did not
matter what my disability was or even if I was really disabled, and he did
not think my dog was a real guide dog, because she was a husky . I would
still be banned. I have had so many problems with the bus company, and I
have tried to straiten things out to no avail. I asked to have a meeting
with people at Sun Tran, but they have refused. There are not even any
Braille or raised markings at the depot any more. they have taken it
away.When I asked about that I was told that they did not know any thing
about that. I have always tried to be polite, but it is becoming harder to
do as they keep ignoring the problems. I keep getting told that I am the
only one complaining. Iknow there are other people who do complain but they
are told the same thing. I don't dare call a cop here as they never help and
only make things more difficult. I could fill this page and many more about
the problems I have had with the police and the bus company, but I will
spare you as I think you get the picture. I have emailed the president of
our local NFB chapter but never got a response. There is another group here
in AZ,with guide dog users,but it is not NFB related. I never got a response
from them either. I don't know what else to do.The more I complain, the
worse they make it for me. I am told that I have a bad attitude. I think it
is the other way around. I still am polite to the drivers and always thank
them when getting off the bus,even when I would rather be nasty,but I know
that will not help matters. There are also cameras on these busses and I
don't want to give them any reason to ban me from riding the bus.Some times
I just go home and cry, because of all the crap that has happened that day.
I also know that doesn't help either. Some times I just get tired of having
to fight for my so called equal rights that are not equal and not
gaurenteed,even though the law says I have these rights. Well I have to go
catch a bus now and go pay the Cox bill so I will continue to have internet.
I hope thet there will be no problems today.        Have a great day,
Mardi and Nala,semi-retired and Wanagi,career changed.