[nagdu] My new dog

Joy Relton jrelton at verizon.net
Fri Jul 24 20:11:25 UTC 2009

Hey Ted,

This may be a great thing for you and Cruz, to go into New York. Especially
if you will be going to areas which are new to both of you. This way, both
of you have to stay focused on the duties and responsibilities of your part
of the partnership. I find that Belle gets more sniffy at times when she's
either feeling a little bored because we've been there and done that before,
or, when one of those two legged sighted people is around walking with us.
As far as turn styles, I usually work them like I do the revolving doors.
I.e., put the dog in my right hand and keep him/her on the right and rotate
the door from the right to the left so that the dog is on the widest part of
the opening. I hold onto the leash close to the collar so that I know that
the dog is in securely as we go through the tight spot so that the dog
doesn't somehow get pushed outside the door. Never, let someone run the
door/style for you as you should control the speed. Take a few minutes more
to do it the first few times and talk the dog through it. Having said all
that, sometimes the turn style doesn't affect the dog because they are
shorter and you can walk through normally. The former method won't affect
you getting through safely and will ensure that the dog doesn't get injured.
Gentle, but firm patience will help the experience to be a good one. AS far
as releaving areas. Some of the subway stations have parking areas above and
there are gravel areas around the edges. However, if you are talking about
subway stations down town, then, curbing at the edge of the street or
finding, some rare piece of grass are your options. Dogs are amazingly
adaptable. You can usually find a corner, curb or somewhere slightly off of
the beatened path to give them an opportunity to go. Just remember to allow
for extra time. After all, remember, it's not easy to go on command. The
tougher part is finding a trash can to take care of any deposits.

Best of luck to you and Cruz. Enjoy that enthusiasm, just curb it. I know
this well. I still have to tell my eight year old "all four on the floor".
By the way, she's eight today. Seriously, anticipating that sort of behavior
and curbing it before Cruz has a chance to jump works much better than
telling him  after the fact.

Enjoy your new partner. Give him an extra pat for me.