[nagdu] Do's and Don't's

Linda Gwizdak linda.gwizdak at cox.net
Fri Jun 19 22:26:11 UTC 2009

Hi all,
The people I knew who just did what they wanted when going home from guide
dog school were really interesteed in a pet they could take everywhere.
These people don't care if their actions undoes the dog's training.

Now, me, I don't always keep up with doing the daily obedience routine.  I
use obedience commands during work.  I did do them when my dog was new -
until the dog knows that I'm the boss (a few weeks!)  If Landon decides to
"blow me off" , then I do an obedience routine as a reminder to him who's
the boss (grin!).

I also ask myself, "If I allow Landon to do_________, how will this impact
his work or behavior in public?"  If I let him sleep in my bed at home, he
will assume that he can sleep in the bed at my parents' home or in a hotel.
He knows that he is NEVER allowed to get up on furniture. Besides this
becoming a dominance issue, dogs have skin oil and hair that I don't want on
my bed or furniture.

I have a friend who had a pet dog when she was a kid. The dog was allowed on
the furniture and the dog decided that my friend's bed was going to belong
to him.  Whenever my friend went to go to bed, the dog would snarl and snap
at her.  The dog learned that he was the boss because he selected his
sleeping place and he had the best sleeping place.  In dog society, the
dominant dog gets the best food and choice of best sleeping place.

So, I don't "go there" and my dogs sleep on a nice mat on the floor - or in
their crate!

Linda and Landon