[nagdu] Questionable web site

Wayne Merritt wcmerritt at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 17:17:24 UTC 2009

I've never been asked for proof of ID for either of my Seeign Eye
dogs. The only time that I wanted to see some ID from someone else was
when my first guide and I came across a professor at a junior college
who had a dog with him. When I talked with him later, he claimed that
the dog was a "service dog." Though in the limited times we
interacted, I didn't detect any sort of outward reason why he might
need the dog; no blindness or other other outward sign. He told me
that a policeman at the college asked him once about his dog and if it
was a service dog, and this professor said, "Yes, he guides me through
all my classes." I was sick when I heard this. I gathered from
observation that this was the kind of guy who just liked to take his
dog with him to work. The first time we crossed paths was when my
guide and I came around a corner in a hall and the other dog, who was
off leash, lunged at my dog, who lunged back. Some people around us
thought it was funny, but it was all I could do to keep my trained
guide under control and focused on me. Meanwhile, this professor was
just calling and whistling for his off leash dog like it was no big
deal. Though I never was able to ask him what his disability was, I'm
glad I never took any of his classes. That would have been tense, :)

Wayne