[nagdu] Ownership & consideration

craig.borne at dot.gov craig.borne at dot.gov
Tue Mar 3 14:56:29 UTC 2009

Hi Marion,

To have a valid contract, one needs:
1. offer
2. acceptance
3. mutual assent
4. consideration

Mutual assent is typically known as a "meeting of the minds," which
really is that some sort of discussion (no matter how small) has taken
place.

Consideration has two parts: "bargained for; legal detriment."  The
consideration must be "bargained for," which is mostly easily expressed
in a price tag, but it does not necessarily need to be such.  "Legal
detriment" means doing something you are not obligated to do or
refraining from something in which you are allowed to do.

In other words, "I will pay you $100, if you cease guitar playing for
the rest of your life."  Not withstanding the fact that it is a rotten
deal, consideration is present because I have "bargained for" using $100
to get you to refrain from something you are absolutely allowed to do
(i.e., playing the guitar).

Typically, the lack of monetary consideration (like the $1 in Marion's
example) shows lack of "bargained for," and therefore, the transaction
may be seen as a "gift," which has all kinds of issues of its own.

I don't remember what was in my Seeing Eye contract, but I imagine that
the $150 certainly is consideration for my signature on the contract and
the school giving me full ownership upon graduation.  However and not
speaking on behalf of the school, I think the $150 is more of a show of
commitment on behalf of the handler than it is consideration, though in
the legal world, it is both.  The fact that a dog is not "given" to you
as an entitlement and that you had to make some sacrifice for the dog is
powerful, and I believe as a father of two youngsters that paying for
something yourself (or working to raise the money/sponsors to purchase
an item) will directly reflect in the manner in which an individual will
treat the purchased item.

I hope this doesn't muddy up the already cloudy waters.

Craig

Craig Borne
NHTSA/DOT
(202) 493-0627