[nagdu] Things I wanted to discuss, but just didn't have time to

Garry and Joy Relton relton30857 at cox.net
Mon Mar 9 14:54:35 UTC 2009

Folks, I believe that it doesn't matter as much what you say, or what you do
as, the tone in which you do it. Sometimes your hands are full and you can't
take the leash in the other hand, or you have stuff on your back and can't
easily move back and forth. When you first use the dog it's helpful to
combine hand motions or body language with the command but it's the context
and the tone of your voice that make the bigger difference. On occasion I
get distracted and say "easy" and my dog still knows I mean to take it
steady. My father used to shoe horses and he would say all kinds of things
to them (much of which I would not say) but he always said it in the tone
that they were calmed. I used to say to him "it's a good thing that horse
doesn't understand the words you are using, or he'd kick you". He'd just
laugh and say, "you know it's just the tone of the voice and the calming
effect.'
Joy