[nagdu] shorelining

Julie J. jlcrane at alltel.net
Tue Mar 10 12:39:39 UTC 2009

Mardi,

I was having the same problem with left turns. I found that if I c/t when
his head turned left, then one foot...it really helped him understand what I
wanted.  Once I focused on the smallest bit of left movement the concept
really took off.  I didn't need to break it down very much at all after the
initial first few bits.

I think left turns are harder because the dog is turning away from you.   A
left turn also requires more thought from the dog for clearance and graceful
maneuvering.  Or at least with Monty this is what I am finding.  Right turns
are pretty much one fluid movement, while left turns require a chain of
tasks.

It sounds like Shaman is coming along very nicely.   I love to hear about
how you work your dogs and how you train specific tasks.

Julie