[nagdu] Things I wanted to discuss, but just didn't have time to

Julie J. jlcrane at alltel.net
Tue Mar 10 12:53:36 UTC 2009

LOL!  I did things pretty much like you are with my first dog.  Belle and
Monty have benefited from a much more organized approach, but I still find
myself adding to their vocabulary.

This winter I have been "accidentally" working on retrieve tasks with Monty.
I just paired the words, get, take, bring and give into our play and
everyday life.  I made no real effort in teaching this task.   This past
week there have been several occasions when Monty has followed my retrieve
directions in a more formal/directed setting.  I think his grasp of the
concepts is much more than I was giving him credit for.

And most definitely I find myself using more "rustic" terms for some of his
tasks...for example I use "whoa" instead of stop or halt.  Serves the same
purpose, but it is the word that comes naturally to mind when I want to
stop.

I think Monty is on the downhill side of his adolescence.  I am so relieved
that there seems to be maturity in sight! *smile*   Or at least hope that I
will be able to keep up with him.

Julie