[nagdu] surgery recovery question

lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com lindagwizdak at peoplepc.com
Wed Mar 25 17:08:50 UTC 2009

Hi Tracy,
Sorry to hear about the breast cancer.  My prayers are with you. I know
several women who have had breast cancer, including a guide dog user, and
all have made great recoveries and are living cancer-free for many years.

I talked to the lady with the guide dog. She had her surgery back in 1994
and had both breasts removed and replaced with implants. She had the cancer
removed in one breast and the other removed as a preventative measure. She
has alot of breast cancer in her family.  She couldn't use her dog for quite
awhile as she had an extensive surgery.

Yours sounds quite simple in comparison to hers.  I'd say, you may be down
for a couple of weeks tops since your surgery is in the right breast.  Also
it will be alot easier if the cancerous tumor is removed and the rest of the
healthy tissue can remain.

I'd recommend strongly that you use the Gentle Leader or whatever headcollar
you have on Ben during your recovery.  With the headcollar, you will
eliminate having to do leash corrections with the choke collar.  Also the
headcollar "cools his jets" so to speak and he will remain fairly calm with
the headcollar on.

I think it will go OK for you.  You take care and good luck and God bless
you in your recovery.

Regards,

Linda and Landon