[nagdu] Missing guide dog found struck by car

Pickrell, Rebecca M (IS) REBECCA.PICKRELL at ngc.com
Wed May 27 15:30:56 UTC 2009

Sarah,
Did you ever get the author to respond?

-----Original Message-----
From: nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nagdu-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Sarah and Loretta
Sent: Saturday, May 23, 2009 9:41 AM
To: NAGDU Mailing List,the National Association of Guide Dog Users
Subject: Re: [nagdu] Missing guide dog found struck by car

Sent to the author:

I just read your article regarding the dog guide that was killed in
Indianapolis. I am wondering why the owner has to pay so much money...
Dog guide schools either provide dogs free or charge a nominal fee (less
than $100). Where is this several thousand dollar figure coming from? I
am a dog guide user living in Anderson and am deeply concerned with the
misinformation this kind of reporting sends to the public. It presents
blind people as much more helpless than we are. We already struggle
badly with needing to be viewed as capable human beings who can function
in the community. A dog guide is a valuable source of travel assistance;
but unless something is wrong with the particular joints needed to
travel with a cane, it is possible to travel independently without one;
and getting a dog is not a tremdous financial burden to the blind
person. (Of course, this is made possible because of donations to the
schools, which are extremely valuable.)

Please correct this information!

Sarah J. Blake
Personal email: sjblake at growingstrong.org http://www.growingstrong.org