[nagdu] Fake service dogs news story

Joanie joaniemarie at earthlink.net
Fri Nov 27 19:22:54 UTC 2009

Hi Steve and all,
I too have had my issues with access denial because of a guide dog. I
received my first guide in 1974 when I lived here in Vancouver, Washington.
I was constantly being denied access to restaurants, hospitals, and even a
doctor's office.  I was finally granted access after writing letters to
managers etc. The hospital problem took a bit longer to resolve. There will
always be parts of hospitals where our dogs can not go, but it is so much
better now.
I still have problems with cab drivers from time to time. The allergy excuse
is what cab drivers can use, and they do. They too are covered under the
ADA. They just tell me another cab will be arriving shortly to pick us up.
The allergy card is what several cab drivers played on me when I lived in
Sacramento.  I just don't know how to get around that one.
Take care.
Joanie Delzer
joaniemarie at earthlink.net