[nagdu] guide dog responsibilities

Chris Jones cj04_86 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 30 01:23:15 UTC 2009

    Hello,
My name is Chris Jones, and I am new to the list.  I expect to learn much from this list.
I am a lifelong user of the cane for mobility, but I have always been attracted to the guide dog.  I always held back because I felt that the responsibility required was too much for what I was willing and capable of maintaining.  I would like those on the list to perhaps give reasons why they finally made that plunge into the guide dog lifestyle.
On a side note, those of you with guide dogs, have you found the general public to give you more respect?  I have the assumption that cane users are not looked at the same as far as traveling independently in relation to the general public.
Thank you for any response.